On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Kathryn Hogg <kjh at flyballdogs.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if Cowon has come out with a hard drive player to replace the
> X5 and the flash based units have too small of a capacity.

Speaking of Cowon, I have two iAudio U3's that I'm very happy with. Nice and
compact, plays ogg and FLAC and even MPEG4 video. Very good voice recorder,
FM radio, works great with Linux as a standard mass storage device.
Personally I don't trust carrying a HD around, 2/4gb is more music than I
could ever listen to in a day, and I've never been able to drop the battery
charge more than a notch in a day. Charges from USB.

Anyway, if you're looking for a nice compact, cheap (Refurb 4gb is currently
$104.99 on jetmall.net) but feature packed flash based player, I highly
recommend the U3. But they seem to be becoming hard to find, I presume
they've been discontinued in favor of the U5, which seems to have been
stripped of everything that makes the U3 awesome. No ogg? No way!

As an alternative, the F2 seems to be the same hardware as a U3 in a weird
cellphone style case, 4gb is $67.99(!) on Amazon. The iAudio 7 appears to be
quite similar to a U3 as well, and is also $104.99 for 4gb on jetmall.net.