Charlie O wrote:
> I'm looking to get my first mp3 player.  I don't want to bother with IPod
> or
> DRM files, just something that will play mp3s that is good quality sound
> and
> not too pricey.
>
> I would prefer finding one that allows me to use a Linux computer
> interface
> rather than needing Windows.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I picked up a Cowon iAudio X5 last summer for about $130 (iAudio sells
refurb units on ebay) and put in a bigger hard drive.  I replaced the
iAudio firmware with Rockbox (http://rockbox.org) and couldn't be happier.
 25Gb of Ogg audio files and I'm a happy camper.  It integrates really
nicely with Amarok.

I'm not sure if Cowon has come out with a hard drive player to replace the
X5 and the flash based units have too small of a capacity.

PS.  Rockbox runs on iPods: Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod
Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd gen Nano,
Classic or Touch)

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com