On Wednesday 30 July 2008 07:38:07 pm Chuck Cole wrote:
> [...]

What personal computer predated the 8" floppy?

> > There are tape mediums that have shelf lives in the 30 year range,
> > unfortunately floppies were not designed to have a long shelf life.
>
> I'm curious: is that just a supposition, or do you have any documention of
> that?  I think data of the day I had would indicate that the medium was
> designed for best archival capability, but I didn't save any of that stuff.
>
> > believe I was testing 5.25" floppies in 1998 when I was preparing to move
> > from Michigan to Minnesota.  They had been stored in a cool dry dark
> > place and were for the most part all junk.  I think they were about 6
> > years old at that point.  Maybe a tad less.
>
> Not clear that you took any precaution at all to assure longevity.  I have
> only "spot checked" a few of my many floppies from c1984 and maybe older,
> but have had little difficulty with reading data, doing surface scan
> checks, and even an occasional re-recording in place to assure good SNR.  I
> ran a club library and still have several hunderd pounds of 5.25 floppies
> in a good steel case "file cabinet".  Some very dull rainy day, I'll move
> the "good stuff" over to CDs and get rid of the floppies.
>
> My experience differs greatly from yours.  I think the old error-handling
> routines for floppies were/are available in source code form in Z/CPR, the
> open-source version of CP/M... haven't looked in many years, tho.
>

> Chuck

The documentation varies depending on it's age.  Documentation from 20 years
ago suggests a properly stored floppy may have a shelf life of 30 years.
Documentation from today suggests floppies have a shelf life of a couple
years.

Perhaps the disparagy in documentation is rooted in either the widespread
discovery that the shelf life isn't as long as it was once thought?  Or
perhaps proper storage is difficult?

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with floppies on any sort of
consistant basis, but I don't ever recall considering them a reliable storage
medium on any platform.

I'm not sure I took any precautions to ensure the longevity of the floppies I
put out to pasture either, other than being careful where I stored them.
It's possible they were exposed to large magnetic fields, it's equally
possible my floppy drives controllers or cables were junk.  It's also
possible that floppies don't last as long as one might think.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB