On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Unfortunately digital recordings don't tolerate degradation at all.  A
> single bit error is enough to make a binary file unusable....whereas you
> can lose a vast amount of analog information and still make out what
> song you're listening to.

I'm not sure that's true.  I think it depends on the type of file and type
of error.  Text files can tolerate tons of errors and still be readable,
but if they are programs, one error *might* make the file unusable.

> There are tape mediums that have shelf lives in the 30 year range,
> unfortunately floppies were not designed to have a long shelf life.  I
> believe I was testing 5.25" floppies in 1998 when I was preparing to
> move from Michigan to Minnesota.  They had been stored in a cool dry
> dark place and were for the most part all junk.  I think they were about
> 6 years old at that point.

I know that I've had a lot better luck than that!  I'll get out the old
disks and see how they do.  Maybe yours were stored in a cool, dry, dark
place on top of an electromagnet.  Or maybe your disk drive was the
problem.

Mike