Perhaps the internal switch/hub is flaking out, but the embedded *nix chip is
ok.  Overheating of the router?   Noisy line voltage?  Or it could be a blown
capacitor or other HW issues.

It might be easiest to try another router, or replace it with a hub/switch and
see if the local net is ok.  Or, put the local net on a switch that feeds
into the router, so that local traffic never touches the router.

Jeremy