> 1) figure out group policies for a 3 tier system
> the kids get more permissions as they behave properly and loose them as they
> don't.
> 3) if we have to we can lock down the computers and firefox to prevent
> installation of software and addons.  if you have ever been to dunn bros,
> some have the systems so they are fresh for the next person, only we want
> the students to be able to save files on the server within their usr files.
> and i imagine we want to save bookmarks as well.

Pessulus combined with Sabayon (for Gnome) will be very handy for
these two items.  You can create fairly complicated lockdown policies,
and then assign students to different groups for their permissions
levels.  I've only dabbled with the tools briefly, but it's fairly
obvious that they're designed for exactly this sort of thing, so you
should be able to figure it out pretty easily I would guess.

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/