On Jul 21, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Aaron wrote:

> A lot of you guys are in the IT industry so I thought it might be a
> good idea to post here to see what experiences people have had with
> getting their IT certifications locally. I'm looking at getting some
> of these under my belt so I can move off of the dreaded Hell Desk
> onto more engaging and exciting areas. So I guess my questions are
> this:
>
> 1. Have you gotten any certifications locally before (A+, MCSE,
> RHCT, CCNA, etc, etc)?
> 2. Where?
> 3. Did you take classes or just tests? Which would you recommend
> doing?
> 4. Any literature that you remember helping you out?
> 5. What was your general feeling of the process?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my small tidbit of advice, limited as my experience may be.  I
have my CCNA - it did nothing for me other than make me fairly
knowledgeable.  If you end up in a network engineering roll, higher
Cisco certs will probably be good for you.  As far as MCSE, most IT
folks I know laugh at it.  I don't know if Windows shops are different
- never working in one myself.

Other than that, experience is your best friend.  It would probably
serve you well to get out of the big-company environment and go small
time for a couple years.  There are a ton of small 10-50 man shops
around in need of full-time IT, even if it's only one person.  Get in
somewhere like that and do a good job.  Anyone, given some free time,
can get a certification.

---
Eric Crist