Chris Gloege wrote:
> i am working with a mpls public school teacher putting edubuntu server
> with old 386 computers as thin clients.  i was wondering how the
> relationship between the server kernel and the ? image the thin clients
> works...  is there 2 separate images that get accesse?  we want to
> customize the image the thin clients access for reasons not yet known to
> me.  any suggestions for this really vague question?

In the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04, Hardy Heron) the ltsp client
image gets mounted from the server via nbd and starts up as if it was a
standalone system. you can have client images for any supported
architecture though i have only tried i386, this is independent of the
actual server architecture; the connection to the server is via ssh.

note though that i386 is an architecture label not a processor, i do not
believe Ubuntu supports anything under a 486.