On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Knoppix is a livecd version of linux you can download for free. You
> basically download the knoppix iso image, burn it to a CD (as you did
> the FC5 image), then boot off of it. It allows you to run a full
> non-destructive linux environment off of a CD. Unfortunately I'm
> leaving the office momentarily, so I don't have time to give you more
> details than that. Possibly someone else on the list will be able to,

Fedora has LiveCDs these days: (Scroll down below "install media")

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Which gives you a nice non-destructive way to see if a newer Fedora
will run better.

You can also do a clean install (Back up your data!) directly from the
LiveCD environment. You can also use the disk to start a network
upgrade of an existing system, but that's only supported going from
the previous Fedora release to the one on the disk. Upgrading FC5 all
the way to F9 is not officially supported and I wouldn't recommend
doing it.