On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:

> I need to find a 4TB NAS solution, and am curious if there is any good
> reason to change from using Freenas, and look at an enterprise solution? If
> so, what would be a recommended make & model?

"Enterprise" implies that you need guaranteed availability and
support.  FreeNAS offers neither.  An enterprise NAS is a well
supported box  running Windows storage server.  Nothing fancier than
that.  A whitebox running FreeNAS will give you the same features
(probably more) with more stability (FreeBSD kernel vs Windows kernel)
on lesser hardware.  But when it breaks, you're fixing it yourself.
HP and Dell sell their NAS products, that price tag includes support
and Windows licensing.

You of course could meet in the middle somewhere, buy yourself a well
supported box like an HP DL380 and put RHEL or SuSE pro, as both are
well supported and can do everything you'd ask your FreeNAS box to do.

What's your objective?

-Brian