On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 04:29:34PM -0600, Steve Cayford wrote:
> Andrew Zbikowski wrote:
> > Lots of backup information going around lately.
> >
> > I've been testing out JungleDisk (http://www.jungledisk.com) on my
> > Windows machines as an alternative to using BackupPC to an external
> > hard disk. For those who don't know, JungleDisk is a software package
> > that allows you to use Amazon's S3 service as a locally mapped
> > drive/volume. It also has automated backup features, which is what I'm
> > using to backup the critical data on Windows (My Documents, iTunes,
> > etc.) Looks like Amazon is going to charge me around $6.50 a month for
> > the data stored on S3. Not bad really.
> >
> > So far, I'm happy with it on the Windows machines so I figured it
> > would be time to give it a try under Linux. Has anyone on the list
> > tried it?
> >
> > And a related question for those running automated off site backups:
> > What tools are you using? rsync? Something more advanced?
> >

> I've been using rsnapshot which uses rsync underneath. Haven't had any
> trouble with it yet after two years of daily backups.

I am using Boxbackup:

http://www.boxbackup.org/

It has some nice bells and whistles.  It can do lazy or snapshot backups
and works like rsync in that it only sends the changes over the wire.  I
mostly like that it also has versioned backups for those times when you
wanted the Monday copy of the file that changed every day last week and
today is Friday :-)

Jungledisk does sound like a pretty good deal though and I would like to
hear about folks that have used the Linux version of the client.

Kelly