On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Munir Nassar wrote:

> On 1/18/08, Andrew Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fake RAID doesn't refer to software raid, but to the raid controller
>> cards (Most commonly Promise cards) that are really multi-channel disk
>> controllers combined with special BIOS configuration options and
>> software drivers to assist the OS in performing RAID operations. This
>> gives the appearance of a hardware RAID, because the RAID configuration
>> is done using a BIOS setup screen, and the operating system can be
>> booted from the RAID.
>
> i know what you referred to, that still does not make it fake: from
> wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake) fake means not real.

I'm not going to "do battle" with anyone here, and maybe I'm not even
disagreeing with anyone, but this is from Wikipedia:

    Because these controllers often try to give the impression of being
    hardware RAID controllers, they can be known as Fake RAID. They do
    actually implement genuine RAID; the only faking is that they do it in
    software.

Their entry got messed up somewhat in the past couple of weeks and it
isn't as clear as it was before.  It referred to the kind of system where
the BIOS has some RAID settings, but does not have a full RAID controller.

> I agree, it is very much like WinModems, we should then call it WinRaid
> because windows is the only OS that needs it. Remember WinModems are not
> fake modems, they are just not as good as hardware modems.

I like your idea.  I was thinking I'd use the BIOS "Fake RAID" with Linux
before I was told that it was of no use except with Windows and that I
should use a Linux software RAID.  That's what I'm using now.  It seems to
be working -- is there any way to test it?  If one of the drives fails, do
we get a warning message?

Mike