> calling software raid "fake" is imho false. raid stands for a redundant
> array of inexpensive drives. doing the processing on the host cpu rather
> than offloading it to a daughter is immaterial. raid is raid.

Fake RAID doesn't refer to software raid, but to the raid controller
cards (Most commonly Promise cards) that are really multi-channel disk
controllers combined with special BIOS configuration options and
software drivers to assist the OS in performing RAID operations. This
gives the appearance of a hardware RAID, because the RAID
configuration is done using a BIOS setup screen, and the operating
system can be booted from the RAID.

The concept is the same as WinModems...the CPU ends up doing the work
that would otherwise be done on the controller. The drivers hide the
reality of the situation from the end user, and it all works fine
(Well, in my experience with ISP phone support WinModems never worked
fine...) until the end user want to do something like run an Linux
instead of Windows on their PC.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com