The card I have technically allows the laptop to do both data and voice, so
I should have two options for phone when using the card instead of just one.
My Bluetooth stereo headset allows phone calls to interrupt an audio feed if
I wish... seems more handy that way if the Sprint fees weren't so stupid and
prohibitive.

>  I'd say for the regular camping trip
> the tethered route should be fine, but for my case (where you use it to
> support servers, etc), having it separated is much more convenient,
> especially since it's integrated into my laptop.

You have an internal mini-PCI for the cell data connection?  Does that also
do WiFi or need a special slot?
Certainly better for the road warrior to have the built-in thing and charge
off the service.

Harv, being a HAM who may have taken equipment on the camping trip, may no
problem keeping his cell in its cradle and connected by USB.  My phone usage
isn't high, and I find it very easy to reconnect if I choose to answer a
call during a data session or just let it go to voicemail.  Mine also runs
fine while travelling in a car and keeping the laptop and cell powered via
an inverter.  Some kinda desolate sections of highway between here and
Colorado Springs had only 1G voice service and not (yet) 3G voice+data last
time I tried that.  If camping or travelling by moho, just not a problem at
all to use the cell phone as a data connection.  Doesn't work in the
Boundary Waters however: no nearby 3G towers  :-)

Chuck