Thank you all for the replies.  Unfortunately, my internet got knocked
out yesterday by construction, so now I'm at the coffee shop on my
laptop, away from the machine in question, but I will answer as best I can.

Jay asked about my video drivers.  I have Intel onboard graphics.  Say
what you will about the performance (and I do), the drivers have never
given me issues.

Erik and Jim asked about inittab.  Ubuntu no longer uses inittab since
they switched to upstart, now that information is contained in the
/etc/event.d directory.  My gettys are in there, and ps tells me they
are running.  I have not tried to feed it input, but I suspect it would
work.

Andrew, I have a CRT monitor, but when I get home I'm going to look into
this anyway.  Thanks.

Tony, that link was very enlightening.  Those are pretty much my exact
symptoms.  I will do some more poking in that direction when I return
home and report my findings.

Thanks again to all.

-pd-