Why not use the entirely free loophole on Sprint 3G and some other phones?
If just for camping trips, why pay the extra fees for no additional benefit?

I was extremely annoyed that Sprint's service for the card I have would cost
$40/mo more for no better data connection and any use of the voice
capability my card has would cost $0.40/min even though I'm a subscriber
with better and sometimes free voice rates.

Chuck