"mW of radiated power" is not a limit on antenna design as such, it's a
limit on transmitted power.  Making the receiver's antenna separate and
"hotter" is possible as one way to have an equivalent of more transmitter
power.  Most laptops have poor built-in antennas, so having good antennas
and adjustable transmitter power may be better, since that takes care of
some directionality issues that different antennas introduce.  Something
like a BIOS setting for time zone and country could be used to set the
power.

Most USA WiFi units don't seem to use the maximum allowed power.  Some here
have power settings, and some laptops recommend using the lower setting
which happens to be the default as a way to save battery power.  There is at
least a 20:1 range in available transmitter power in different products
here, according to a vendor's data table.

> I doubt the FCC would allow that.  I would think that the laptops sold in
> the US would have to meet FCC requirements even if they were designed for
> other countries -- so they'd have to partially disable laptops for US
> sales.  On the other hand, maybe they are within US FCC limits and most
> competitors' laptops just aren't close to pushing up against the FCC
> limit.  The XO makers say that the antennae are the key -- most laptops
> don't have antennae.

Most USA units aren't close to the limits.  I'd guess the average is about
1/10th max from product data I've seen.  I've seen pretty wide variation in
range from the 3 or 4 models of PCMCIA  cards I've had, and similarly wide
variation in PCI cards using their own antennas.  I get such great range
performance from the 3 types of internal mini-PCI cards in my Dell laptops
(the Dell built-in antennas seem to be good) that I now generally prefer
these to other WiFi stuff I've collected.

BTW, I have 3 pretty hot Orinoco Gold a,b,g PCMCIA cards plus one PCI
version of the same I want to sell and just haven't posted a classified yet.
Linux drivers exist for these and may be on the driver CDs I have.  The
PCMCIA cards are new and unused OEM units, and the PCI is almost new.
Probably will also sell my two Dell b cards (also Orinoco Gold) that have
the external antenna connectors.  Those are quite good on their internal
antennas and great with various types of external antennas.

Chuck