On Jan 15, 2008 5:57 PM, Jordan Peacock <hewhocutsdown at gmail.com> wrote:
> Specially, for a 1TB MyBook drive, ~9 months old, 1 of the two drives in a
> RAID 0 array is unresponsive. What are the worst/best case scenarios you've
> encountered, and what could I expect if the owner wants to look into
> attempted data recovery?

In my (very limited) experience with RAID0, there is no "best case
scenario".  As you probably know, in a RAID0 array, write operations
are striped between the two drives.  This means that for the vast
majority of files on the array, only a portion of the file lives on
the good drive.  Depending on how the drive has failed, there's a
chance you may be able to swap out the controller card with a known
good controller with the *exact* same hardware spin/firmware revision,
but that's somewhat of a crapshoot.  The other option is to pay a
company like Ontrack to recover the data, but that can get quite
expensive - often into the thousands of dollars.

Not to get preachy, but this is the main reason to avoid RAID0 like
the plague.  Yes, there are some instances where RAID0 is called for
due to performance needs, but that's surely not the case with an
external drive.  If you want to use RAID0, it's *imperative* that you
use some sort of offline backup to CYA for instances like this.

Good luck!
-Erik