> That is a way-cool approach and much more sophisticated than what I've
> done.  To add a new entry to the database, do you just give it a
> URL to an
> IMDb title, or what?

Originally I had something like that, though I always had to go in
manually since I wanted to much info in the db. I tried using the
perl-imdb tools but could never get that going.

Then my server crashed and the whole db was lost (yeah I know,
backups) so I found a program where you put in the DVD's barcode
thing and it just has all the info. It's called DVDPro and yeah, it's
for Windows, but that's what vmware is for. It USED to be free to non-
commercial, but now the "export" only works if you have less than 50
discs in your library.

I actually manually put the imdb URL (or whatever URL I want) in the
"Notes" section.

> The things that were most important to me were (1) I would do
> almost no work
> to add a new entry to the list and (2) the list is on the web so that
> friends can see it.

I really originally wrote this thing to learn how to do perl-mysql
stuff, since I didn't know anything about mysql. Then I got used to
having the db and the web pages. DVDPro lets you actually put the
disc in the drive and read the discid, so you don't even have to type
the thing in. Then you export to XML and I wrote a script that'll
yank that and make it into mysql queries. Fun stuff!

> How do you generate pages on the fly?  PHP?

No, it's perl. I didn't know php at the time. A year later I did more-
or-less the same thing for my CDs in order to learn PHP. I'll stick
with perl!

> One thing that it would be nice to add to your pages is an option for
> sorting by various fields.  Oh -- you already did it:  I click on the
> header and it sorts by that field.  Very nice.  For me, I would
> also have
> "date added" as a sortable field because then people can see which
> movies
> were added recently.

Yeah, and that's in the db, I'm just not using it at all. Specially
since I had to re-add about 150 at more or less the same date....

-Yaron