First use yum or apt-get to install the package inotify-tools.  The
commands are: inotifywait and inotifywatch.  There are man pages for
both in the package.

inotifywait - wait for changes to files using inotify [Also monitors the files, dumping events to a log file].

inotifywatch - gather filesystem access statistics using inotify

Web site is http://inotify-tools.sourceforge.net/

If your distro does not have the package (and Centos/RHEL didn't) you
can download the source from the web site and build it yourself.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis