From: Leif Johnson <leif.t.johnson at gmail.com>
To: Wayne Johnson <wdtj at yahoo.com>; tclug <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:27:20 PM
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Finding the date of the newest file in a directory tree

> Anyone know of a quick and easy way to find the date of the newest
 file in a directory tree.
What kind of systems do you want to be doing this on?

If it's linux with a kernel version of >= 2.6.13 you might (if it was
enabled in the kernel) have inotify available.  For a complete
description see google, but simply inotify allows a program to watch
the file system for events.  So you could make a simple process to
watch your tree for appropriate events (file modifies etc.) and keep
track of what is most recent.

leif

Looking for last minute shopping deals?