On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:23:20AM -0600, p.daniels wrote:
> >From the "you learn something new every day" dept... I have managed to
> misplace my ttys after installing KDE4 on my Kubuntu machine.  Pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-F(1-6) puts my monitor to sleep.  F7 still brings me back.  And
> that's about what I know.  I can't seem to find much info by searching for
> this, but I'll admit I'm not sure what to search for.  Can anyone offer me
> some advice on how to start troubleshooting this?

You also might want to see is anything changed /etc/inittab .
You should have lines something like:

# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

"getty" may be replaced by mingetty or something similar.

If those lines are in your inittab make sure that you have the binary
that they reference.