----- Original Message ----
From: Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:23:36 PM
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Finding the date of the newest file in a directory tree

>Well, the process might be simple, but if the directory tree is bushy
>then you talk about lots of CPU and memory usage to keep track of all
>changes until you need them.

Or you use the program to push the changes when they occur.  In this case, the master directory is a compilation of all the source of all the third party software we use, will use, or have used.  ApacheDS, Xerces, Jetty...  When you factor in multiple releases of the software and multiple platforms (19) it's huge.  It only changes infrequently, but all of our developers need to update their local copies to keep in sync.

Far too many times a developer has changed our product source with something that requires a new package, but not everyone had updated their caches so that person gets excited because compiles start failing, only to realize that they didn't read the "slurp" warning (as we call them) to update their cache.

Some of the developers are on other continents, so having them access the master directly when they build is out of the question.

Thanks all for the suggestions, this has helped a lot.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis

Be a better friend, newshound, and