at a high level, if there's been a modification to a file in a
directory the mtime of the directory should reflect the modification.
this does not propagate to parents, it's simply a reflection of the
metadata for the container directory.

as such you should be able to check the mtime of only directories
within a hierarchy.   this would eliminate the need to check the mtime
of all of the files within a directory.

rsync doen't cut it?

--
steve ulrich (sulrich at botwerks.*)