On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 07:22 -0600, Jon Schewe wrote:
> > That's another new one for me -- I didn't know that "&&" could be used
> > instead of the semicolon.
> >

> But be careful, && and ; mean different things.  A semicolon between two
> commands executes both commands.  Using && executes the first command
> and if it returns success, then the second command is executed, if the
> first command fails, the second command doesn't execute.

Yep, and conversely, '||' can be used to execute a command if the first
fails.  You can do one-liner if-else commands this way (though you have
to be pretty careful about it):

        [mike at 3po][~]$ true && echo true || echo false
        true
        [mike at 3po][~]$ false && echo true || echo false
        false

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>