On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Jon Schewe wrote:

> Mike Miller wrote:
>> You have to remember that filenames or directory names can contain spaces.
>> This is a really important little "gottcha" because you can do a whole lot
>> of testing and think everything is fine because you never use spaces in
>> filenames.  Some people like spaces (are they crazy? ;-), and your program
>> will not seem so great to them!
>>
> Don't put spaces in filenames in the first place...

I know what you mean, but I don't want to give someone a script where the
first line of documentation says "make sure that none of your filenames
contains a space."

> Also are you handling backslashes in filenames and control characters?

Backslashes -- yes.

Control characters -- mostly, I guess.  I just tried it with a carriage
return in the path and it worked, but it might not look right on your
output device, whatever that is.  Then I put a newline in the path.  That
didn't quite work out.  The output used a space where the newline should
have been.

So ... I'll bet you could see this coming ... "Don't put newlines in
filenames in the first place..."

Mike