Dan Armbrust wrote:
> I'm trying to find a variable or a command that will tell me where the
> currently executing script lives.
>
> So, If I'm running /foo/bar.sh, I'm looking for a something that will
> give me "/foo/", while I'm inside the script bar.sh.
>
> On windows, this is "%~dp0".

On Linux you have two options:
1) If you can guarantee that dirname exists then this works:
mypath=`dirname $0`
cd ${mypath}
mypath=`pwd`

2) If you're not sure that dirname exists, this works well:
mypath="`echo $0 | sed -e 's,[^/]*$,,;s,/$,,;s,^$,.,'`"
cd ${mypath}
mypath=`pwd`

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital