Cyprian Troyer wrote:
> Anyone have any success yet with a Slackware 12.0 installation talking
> to a wireless card?

Yes

> I'm trying to get a Trendnet TEW-423PI with a
> Realtek 8185 chipset working. I downloaded the Linux drivers from
> Realtek's website, and they seem to be doing what they should. I have
> tried both the manual method described in Realtek's readme file, and the
> Slackware method - loading everything through the rc. scripts (took some
> editing to eliminate all the error messages). Either way I can use
> iwlist to scan the card, and the results  look good - the ap adresses
> are correct, the ESSID comes back correct, the protocol is identified
> correctly... But the Quality and Signal level are always reported as zero.
>  I know that the signal strength is better than that, because when I
> boot the Windoze side of the machine, it reports a signal strength of
> 85% and I can connect to the router without problem. (It's a Belkin 54 g
> WIFI router).
>  Any guidance is appreciated.

I had a similar problem.  I ended up using ndiswrapper with the windows
drivers that came with the card.

I took notes on how I was able to get it working, but they are at home
(where I am not at the moment).

I ended up using ndiswrapper with the windows driver that came with my
card.  The setup was pretty easy as I remember.  I then used iwconfig to
config the interface.  I then added a start up script to rc.local & a
shutdown script to rc.local_shutdown.

If this email dose not help lead you in the right direction, let me
know.  I will send you my notes when I get home.

Good Luck!

Bob De Mars