On Feb 6, 2008 7:46 AM, Troy <troythetechguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Brian points out, there is the cost of training involved with any
> conversion.  However, I think this touches on the fundamental issue of how
> we teach people to use software.  This topic was mentioned in another list
> that I am a member, and the consensus was we teach kids to use MS Word, not
> word processing software.  It would be nice if schools at least touched on
> alternatives to MS products.

Very much agreed. I've had issues with this for many years. Quite
frankly, I am of the belief that a "computer literate" person should
be able to walk up to any modern desktop system (Linux, OS X, or
Windows [pick your flavor]) and be productive. We need to teach
philosophies, not applications. Whether it's Word Perfect, OpenOffice
Writer, Abiword, Microsoft Word, or whatever, people should know
what's capable. There will always be some specifics to learn, but we
need to teach concepts and approaches, capabilities and philosophies,
rather than specific applications.

</soap_box_rant>

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman, Director
Systems Administration and Technical Operations