Tony Yarusso wrote:
> [...]
> I was wondering if anyone else had similar resolutions brought up in
> their precinct, and if so, what was the result?  The only concern raised
> against mine was wondering what the potential cost would be, although I
> think we have a solid argument there in that it would cost essentially
> nothing to implement open formats in a forward-only manner, and the real
> cost only comes in with retroactively converting existing documents (and
> the prioritization of my resolution was worded accordingly), and
> regardless would be far less than the cost of trying to recover data
> after a vendor went bankrupt, changed its terms, or any other similar
> drastic blocking event to current documents.
> [...]

Our precinct did not have time to go through all the resolutions and they
had to be passed along to the senate district conference en masse. So I
don't know what all the resolutions contained. I should have included a
resolution like that myself, but didn't think of it.

As far as the cost... won't the older documents have to be converted to
something else at some point anyway? It seems like converting to an open
format could actually be cheaper than converting to Microsoft's next
document format.

-Steve