On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Eric F Crist wrote:

> You said you would disallow doing a sudo to su.  You said nothing about
> disallowing other commands.  My point is that there are other ways to
> obtain a root shell without going the su route.  As someone else
> mentioned, vim, emacs, poorly written shell scripts dumped into $PATH,
> etc.  The more secure, or safer, method may be to white-list rather than
> black-list.  At least, that's been my experience.

I think you have to use an disallow-all, allow-specifics kind of approach.
What about this?

sudo cp -p /usr/bash /usr/bash2
sudo bash2 -l

If bash had been disallowed, but bash2 hadn't been disallowed, then you're
screwed.  I think you have to allow a very limited set of commands, very
cautiously.  It's probably best to create a special user, not called root,
in a special group who has certain special permissions -- can't that be
done?

Mike