On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Adam Monsen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 11:13 -0600, Jeremy wrote:
>>> How can I find all the files which are not in packages in ubuntu?
>>
>> Here's an idea:
>>
>>   find / > /tmp/allfiles.txt
>>   for i in `cat /tmp/allfiles.txt`
>>   do
>>     if ! dpkg --search $i
>>     then echo $i > /tmp/unknown.txt
>>     fi
>>   done
>>
>> You might want "-type f" in that find command.
>
> You certainly want:
>
> then echo $i >> /tmp/unknown.txt
>
> While this approach will probably work, it's bound to be fairly slow.

Right.  So many of us will want a good solution to this problem that we
should probably try to figure out the optimal approach (if there is one).
In fact, Ubuntu and other systems should provide us some assistance on
this issue.

Will the dpkg --search method identify configuration files that were part
of the package but later modified by the user?  I would think those files
would be identified as package files, not backed up, then cofiguration
data would be lost.  Is that correct?

Related to the latter problem -- if you install the newest versions of
programs, then overwrite the configuration files with your old
configuration files, often from older versions of the program, will that
cause problems?  I think it usually wouldn't but might sometimes.

Mike