Now that I'm trying to do everything in Ubuntu, I'm wondering about CD
rippers/encoders.  What have you found to be the best CD rippers/encoders
for GNU/Linux? Until now, I have been using WinXP with CDex for that
purpose and it has performed well.  There seems to be a GNU/Linux clone of
CDex called LCDex:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdex/

But it is listed as pre-alpha and inactive, so I doubt it is a good
choice.  For me the best option might have a command-line interface, but a
GUI is good too.

Wikipedia lists five rippers for "BSD and Linux":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_ripper#BSD_and_Linux

Asunder:	http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/
Brasero:	http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/
Grip:   	http://nostatic.org/grip/
K3B:    	http://www.k3b.org/
Sound Juicer: 	http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/sound-juicer

I also ran across Rubyripper, which sounds quite intriguing:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Rubyripper

But I have to think that it must be slowed down significantly by all the care
that it puts into error correction.  It uses "cdparanoia"...

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Cdparanoia

...as do at least Asunder and Grip, and perhaps others.  I appreciate the
effort made by these programs to get the right answer.  I just wonder if they
are slow.  I'll probably have to test a couple of them.

A friend who uses BSD recommended cdrecord, which comes with cdda2wav for
ripping.  "It is not too bad," he wrote, "although its CLI is quite
detailed and takes some getting used to."

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best,
Mike