On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Raymond Norton wrote:

> I was having trouble with an app that uses postgres on Ubuntu 8.10, so I
> removed all traces of postgres, and for good measure,I removed all
> postgres folders from /etc, thinking they would be recreated by
> reinstalling . I guessed wrong. I was able to reinstall, minus the
> necessary folders and config files in /etc. Is there a way to recreate
> the postgres folders , with the configs?

I don't know, but I'm guessing that it detected an earlier installation
somehow and therefore did not try to write those files.  Did you use
synaptic and try "Mark for Complete Removal"?  Did you remove all of the
postgresql packages?  I'm just guessing that if you remove all of all of
it, then reinstall all of it, you'll get back what you are missing.

Mike