*So, for months now, I've been content to use the USB connection to my
DSL router for my internet access. But I've set myself the goal of
getting my wireless card to work. I believe that native Linux drivers
are not available for this wireless card, so I've downloaded and
installed the latest version of ndiswrapper (version 1.53).  I scrounged
up the Windows XP drivers for the wireless card and copied them to
etc/wlan/ . This is just an arbitrary directory I set up to make things
easy for myself. ndiswrapper is installed in the usr/ directory.
 My first question is this : ndiswrapper -v returns -

root at darkstar:/usr# ndiswrapper -v
modinfo: could not find module ndiswrapper
module version is too old!
utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '0'
module details:
modinfo: could not find module ndiswrapper

You may need to upgrade driver and/or utils to latest versions available at
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

But this _is_  the most recent version available. What am I doing wrong?

 (According to wikipedia, the authors of ndiswrapper have not been
answering their mail since October, so I see no help coming from there. )

Next, the -l option indicates that the driver has been loaded;

root at darkstar:/usr# ndiswrapper -l
net2g54l : driver installed
root at darkstar:/usr#

This command should also return the status of the device, that is, it
ought to also tell me that the hardware is installed, but obviously,
ndiswrapper thinks that it isn't installed.
That brings me to the next question. What do I need to be doing to
introduce the wireless card to the rest of my hardware? What utilities
can I be using to poke around the wireless card? The HAL daemon seems to
be working just fine for my USB memory and the USB LAN connection.

This is all happening on my old Thinkpad 600, running Slackware 12.0.

root at darkstar:/usr# uname -a
Linux darkstar 2.6.21.5 #2 Tue Jun 19 15:22:48 CDT 2007 i686 Pentium II
(Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance,
Cyprian.

P.S. I can use this card from the Windows side of my dual boot setup
with no trouble.
*

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---