On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> It seems that there are many nice laptop computers in the below-$600
> range.  I would like to buy one, remove the ugly Vista (if necessary) and
> install Ubuntu. I expect that there will be some tricks to getting things
> to work under Ubuntu, but some laptops are probably better than others.
>
> So my question is this: Which new laptops are best for Ubuntu?  Have any
> of you tried the Dell laptops with pre-installed Ubuntu?
>
> This machine looks nice...
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0295188
>
> ...but I don't see any info here...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/Gateway
>
> ...so I don't know it it will be tricky to install Ubuntu on it.
>
> Dell has Ubuntu 8.04 laptops, and after appropriate customizations, the
> price is pretty close to that of the Gateway above.  Here's the Dell:
>
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwpl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic~linux_3x
>
> Adding these options...
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)  $50
>   (I think the T7250 has Intel's "Virtualization Technology" added -- is
>    that worth $100?)
> 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz  $50
>
> ...brings the price up to $639 (after $15 in "instant savings"), but I'm
> guessing I can add the 1 GB of RAM myself for less than $50 because
> Crucial seems to sell 2GB for $22:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%201525
>
> The system appears to be 64-bit, so I am assuming they will install the
> 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> So maybe Dell's Inspiron 1525N with preinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 is the way to
> go right now.  Getting something that just works would be a huge pleasure.
>
> Mike

If a big priority is Ubuntu working out of the box, check out
System76.  They've been selling Ubuntu loaded machines for longer than
Dell.  They don't have anything in the sub $600 range but their
hardware is really nice.  They put the extra effort in to make sure
things like sleep and hibernate work on their machines.

Here's their lineup:

http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

Oh, and it doesn't come with a Vista sticker or even a Windows key
(both replaced by Ubuntu counterparts).

--
Donovan Niesen