Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Elvedin Trnjanin wrote:
>

>>> They also offer the "Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB
>>> cache)" for $100 more than the T5800, but what is the difference
>>> between the T5800 and the T7250?  Well, that information is not easy to
>>> find for some reason, but it seems that the T7250 supports Intel's
>>> Virtualization Technology while the T5800 does not.
>>>
>>> I want to run Virtual Box with Win XP Pro in it.  So how much will the
>>> Virtualization Technology help me?  I'm guessing that it will help
>>> enough to be worth $100.  Any opinions?
>>>
>> The "Virtualization Technology" will not help you at all. VirtualBox by
>> default disables them as they are not as efficient as whatever they're
>> using - check the FAQ for more information.
>>

> Do you mean the VirtualBox FAQ?  It is here...
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
>
> ...but it does not mention "Virtualization Technology" or "VT".

Sorry, it was the User Manual. I recall before Sun took over that it was
on the FAQ.

Here is the snippet -

"By default, VirtualBox uses a technique called “software
virtualization” to run a virtual
machine on your guest computer. In a nutshell, this means that the code
in the virtual
machine (the guest operating system and other programs installed in the
virtual machine)
is allowed to run directly on the processor of the host, while
VirtualBox employs
an array of complex techniques to intercept operations that may
interfere with your
host.

In those cases, VirtualBox needs to step in and fake a certain “virtual”
environment
for the guest. For example, if the guest attempts to access its hard
disk, VirtualBox
redirects these requests to whatever you have configured to be the
virtual machine’s
virtual hard disk – normally, an image file on your host.

VirtualBox has very sophisticated techniques to achieve this without any
special
hardware. However, modern Intel and AMD processors have support for
so-called
“hardware virtualization”.
• The virtualization technology built into AMD’s 64-bit processors is
called “AMDV”
(originally referred to with the “Pacifica” codename).
In addition, starting with the Barcelona (K10) architecture, AMD’s
processors
have been supporting nested page tables, which can accelerate hardware
virtualization
significantly. VirtualBox added support for AMD’s nested paging with
version 2.0.
• Intel has named its hardware virtualization VT-x (it was originally
called “Vanderpool”).
Intel will ship support for nested page tables, then called “Extended
Page Tables”
(EPT), with their new Nehalem processors.
These CPUs also introduce tagged Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLBs), which
Intel calls “Virtual Processor Identifiers” (VPID) and which reduce the
need for
expensive TLB flushes. Both EPT and VPID are supported by VirtualBox
starting
with version 2.1.

While VirtualBox does support the hardware features listed above, they
are optional:
you can enable or disable hardware virtualization individiually for each
virtual machine.
In fact, depending on the workload, VirtualBox’s software virtualization
may even
be faster than hardware virtualization. Other virtualization products
that require
hardware virtualization are usually much less sophisticated and tuned
compared to
VirtualBox. With VT-x and AMD-V, a special CPU environment has to be
entered in
order to execute guest code and whenever activity of the VMM is
required, this environment
has to be left and then entered again. This can be an expensive operation
and in many circumstances, the benefits of hardware virtualization may
not outweigh
the performance penalty.

On the other hand side, with hardware virtualization enabled, much less
virtualization
code from VirtualBox needs to be executed, which can result in a more
reliable
system. So if you run into problems, you may want to try enabling
hardware virtualization."

>> The only way that it would be $100 dollars better is if the other
>> processor isn't a Core 2 architecture or it is, but isn't nearly the
>> same clock speed.
>>

> What other processor?  Are you suggesting that it is possible for one
> computer to run two CPUs with different clock speeds?

I'm suggesting that the $100 price difference means there is a lower end
processor that was part of the base version, such as AMD or lower spec
Intel processor.
> Here is what someone on another list had to say:
>
> "Intel VT will help quite a bit - it's worth the extra $100.  VT (and
> AMD's AMD-V/SVM) are essentially hardware-assisted traps for non-
> virtualization safe instructions.  Virtualbox/VMware/whatever should be
> able to treat the virtualized CPU as just a piece of actual hardware,
> leaving the emulation of non-virt-safe instructions to the *actual*
> hardware.
>
> "If you ever go the Xen route, and want to run a Windows VM, you'll need
> VT or AMD-V.  It's well worth the extra dough even if you don't ever touch
> Xen or other low-level VM monitors."

I suppose saying "will not help you at all" earlier is too extreme; they
help, but not an extra $100 sort of help.