On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 01:24:59AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:

> > *It's Linux - or Else - in Parts of China*
> > Authorities in the southeastern Chinese city of Nanchang are requiring
> > all local Internet cafes to replace their Microsoft Windows XP operating
> > systems with a Chinese-made system, Red Flag Linux, according to
> > officials and Internet cafe owners. An official with the Nanchang
> > Cultural Discipline Team said the new operating systems were mandatory.
>
> I hope people will read the rest of it...
>
> > http://www.technewsworld.com/story/65362.html
>
> It gets pretty interesting.

The title is bad, but the abstract is illuminating:

   Authorities in the Chinese city of Nanchang are compelling the city's
   Internet cafes to replace their Windows operating systems with Red
   Flag Linux -- and charging them about $726 for it as well. Some cafe
   owners are closing down rather than comply.

It's just some thugs shaking down businesses.

Cheers,
florin

PS: Why is 'Linus' the Subject to the original post?  Is he the
enforcer, or getting any royalties?

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163