Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Noise levels aren't a design consideration of modern rackmount gear.  Be
> thankful it's 2u, it's not uncommon for a 1u server to have anywhere from 8
> to 16 17,000RPM fans in it.  At 1.6" they can make quite a racket.
>
> If you're not used to rackmounts you're probably never going to get it to a
> level of noise output that you consider acceptable.
>
> If you are saying that it's unacceptably loud compared to your dell 2950 or
> something that's one thing.  If it's unacceptably loud compared to your
> desktop...well that's just how rackmount gear is these days.

I actually use the noise to my advantage @ work.  I have a handful of HP
Proliants, and I must say they are not so load.  I recently purchases a
box from systamax, and threw it in the server room.  It sounds like the
space shuttle, and winds down to a nice 747 at take off.
I am often in the server room, and sometimes hear people trying to talk
to me.  I simply look up at them, say "What?", stare for about 3
seconds, put my head down, and carry on with my work.  I love it.

This has no relevance to anything, but I just want people to know that
the noise can be your friend :)

Robert De Mars