Hi Tom - I currently live in the Cities, but I grew up in Willmar and
my parents currently live 10 miles or so outside of Spicer. Though I
can't speak to the existance of a linux community in the area, I *can*
say that broadband shouldn't be an issue. My parents got cable
internet in their house in Willmar around '98 or so, and since moving
out of town, have had a DSL line "out in the sticks" at their lake
home.

I'd be surprised if broadband wasn't available in Kandiohi, though a
call to the local Chamber of Commerce or City Hall would probably be
able to clear things up quickly.

Good luck!
-Erik