The Dell servers do the same thing.  They have multiple redundant
fans, that all turn on high speed (sound like a jet engine) during
boot up but then slow down to a more tolerable speed/sound once the
system boots up.  If you work the sytems hard enough and the temp gets
too hot, they will spin up to high speed for a while and then spin
down again.  I don't think I have seen anything in Windows or Linux
that will allow for enterprise fan speed control.