That 2 line definition seems OK for what I want, but I should get them to clarify.

They are one of the ones I previously called, and their support folk could not or would not answer questions.

> I honestly didn't check to see if they meet all your requirements as
> I'm actually fairly lazy.

No prob, but it is a prob that Viatalk folk would not help so I could determine whether to buy.

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Chuck Cole <cncole at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I'm looking to replace my home phone service with a non-Vonage but Vonage-like VoIP service.  I've searched past stuff
> here as well
> > as done Google searches and called 3-4 tech support lines to get answers.  Discovered that Vonage is just expensive,
> and that others
> > just don't or won't help much.
> >
> > I think a couple of the providers that offer 2 lines with a basic home plan may be my answer, but they won't or can't
> help and say I
> > gotta use their hardware which makes me suspicious whether I can use their features as I could with Vonage (Vonage
> requires extra
> > monthly payments and/ or 2nd subscription to do what I listed below: expensive and not "seamless".).
> >

> > I'll appreciate any and all comments.  Here's what I think I want:
> >

> > VoIP home plan desired:
> >
> > Unlimited calling in US & Canada
> > 1 home line, replacing POTS by Frontier, and keeping same number.  Only need one number.
> > use my Linksys RTP300 adapter for home line (Linksys info sez this will do my VoIP home connection).
> > online access (from anywhere) to features, forwarding, and other standard VoIP personal preferences
> > unlimited online changes to forwarding home number to cell phone, or
> >    unlimited forwarding to designated laptop, etc (eg, forward to personal laptop when going to 9-5 job, vacation, etc)
> > unlimited changes to access/substitute home phone via my laptop at WiFi hotspots (ie, any broadband link)
> >    via a USB adapter such as Vonage claims for their V-Phone product (tiny adapter: www.Vonage.com/V-Phone), or
> >    via SW such as Vonage claims for their V-Pro product (SW only with headset, needs no adapter - but there's no online product
> > info)
> >
> > Notes:
> > 1) I want the ability to switch home to laptop so I don't always need to use cell "prime time" minutes, but have the choice.
> > 2) do I need or want a hardware adapter like the Vonage USB V-Phone for my laptop to reduce CPU load?
> > 3) is their an unlocked product like the V-Phone which is locked?
> > 4) prefer the choice for laptop to access via Ubuntu or WinXP so phone can be ready in background, regardless of my main
> > application.
> > 5) Vonage tech support said that frequent switching from home to a V-Phone (eg, daily) isn't allowed, but sales said it is
> > unlimited.
> > 6) the services which said I must use their equipment did not or would not clarify how I could use my laptop as a phone at a
> > hotspot.
> >

> > I could not locate a site or something and did MANY searches before asking this here..

(could't find answers at www.voip-info.org among other places.  lots of red herrings though)

Chuck