Robert,

I agree with Jon with using Kerberos to do authentication against the AD.

Currently using it as a central auth point for a large hosting platform.
   Setup has a mix of windows/linux machines.

Here is a link of a decent howto.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryHowto

You can apply this to pretty much any linux flavor.

-mike