Has anyone generated music on Linux recently?  I would like to generate some
notes / chords using programming, but I'm looking for an easy way to make the
audio.

Ideally, the output would be some standard notation (MusicXML, Lilypond, etc),
and mp3 for the actual audio.  Generating text files (as input to another
program) is easy.  Making the mp3 is the tough part.  MIDI could be part of
the solution, but it seems tricky to get MIDI working properly.

What's funny is that It was easier back in the day, just boot the Apple ][ and
you could write musical notation in a few lines of code.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy