I've generated an animated GIF of a machine part for viewing with a
browser.  It works quite well, but I'd like to make it interactive
(pause/resume), which I understand isn't possible with an animated GIF.
I know very little of video and tried this with ffmpeg using "ffmpeg -f
gif -i Animation.gif Animation.flv".  Although Animation.flv generates,
it won't play with mplayer.  The file is identified as "Macromedia Flash
Player" using the file command.

I found I can generate Animation.avi using "ffmpeg -f gif -i
Animation.gif Animation.avi".  That avi file does play with mplayer.
Using ffmpeg -f avi -i Animation.avi Animation.flv" also produces a
Flash file which won't play.  What am I missing when generating?  Is
there an alternative?  As I say, I know very little of video and would
like to keep the loop animated GIF capability.