To my knowledge, Fedora Directory Services at its core is just an ldap server.

They bought the Netscape ldap server, opensourced it, and integrated
it into Fedora.  I don't know how good the integration is yet.

I think their main reason for this was that the alternative - OpenLDAP
- tends to have lots of issues and their community doesn't really get
along well with other developers, from my experience, anyway.

Dan