admin at lctn.org wrote:
> I have a box with a single drive running Linux apps. Is there a way to
> mirror the drive now, or can that only be done during the install process?

i think the question you have to answer is - do you want auto recovery,
or can you live with a manual recovery.

if you want auto recovery - then i would suggest creating a RAID-1
mirror of the main drive.  to do this is straight forward but does
require many steps.

add new disk (B) to system.  create/build raid 1 device /dev/md0 on new
disk (B) with missing device.  this will build up the raid-1 device in a
 degraded mode.  format new raid-1 device and then copy all data from
old disk (A) to new raid-1 device.  once the data has been copied, join
the old disk (A) to raid-1 device restoring it from degraded-mode.  i
would only do this if you have a really good backup, or if you can
actually set disk (A) aside, and build up the raid 1 device with 2 new
drives.  disks are really cheap theses days, so i would buy 2 new
drives, build up the raid-1 device and copy the data over.  this of
course is a simple explanation for what you would need to do, and
depending on your partition layout and the like, it may be just as
simple buy 2 new disks, install from scratch onto the new raid-1 device,
and then copy over your application data from your original drive.

if not - then rsync or another file level utility can do the trick -
just remember that it your mirrored data is only as new as the last time
you run the rsync utility.  this can be cron'ed.