On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:11:53PM -0500, admin at lctn.org wrote:
> I have a listserv box that the drive died on a few days ago. I ran fsck on
> it and it fixed what it could. I am able to view it in X when running a
> Linux rescue CD. It has the partition size right, but It cannot determine
> the file system. Is there anything out there that can repair a ext3 file
> system without wiping out all data?

ext[23] have many backup superblocks.  Before doing anything
destructive, make sure to make a copy (using dd).  Even better
would be to dd your partition to a file on a separate hard
drive, connect the backup copy to a loopback device and attempt
running fsck.ext3 on it.  If the fsck complains about a missing
superblock, try running with "-b 32768" parameter.

Good luck,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163