On Wednesday 19 September 2007 19:04, Jeremy wrote:
> Does anyone use VNC from Windows to Linux?
>
> I'm trying to connect to my Kde desktop from Windows XP.  I was able to get
> vnserver working with tightvnc very nicely, but that creates a new X
> windows session.  I want to access my existing session on desktop :0, so
> that I can work with my running apps.
>
> Side note:  I just bought a voice recognition program for windows (Dragon
> 9), and I want to use it with Kmail.  I want use the Linux box normally,
> but the headset is connected to my windows box, which then inserts the
> characters over the vnc session.
>
> This actually works great with vncserver, but it's not so useful if it's on
> it's own X session.  I want the characters entered into the same session
> that I'm using.
>
> Xrfb is exactly what I want, but it crashed.  When I tried Xrfb with
> tightvnc, it made a connection, and I saw the desktop, but clicking on any
> windows caused Xrfb to crash.  I thought it might be an issue with compiz,
> but uninstalling it didn't make a difference.  Google found others with the
> issue, but no resolution.  I'm on ubuntu.
>
> Does anyone else use a vnc connection from XP -> Kde ?

krfb works for me. The path on my system is /usr/kde/3.5/bin/krfb
I have never used xrfb so I don't know if krfb has any relation but it has not
crashed on me. I have noticed the input is a little sluggish on the desktop
sharing compared to a regular vnc session but it does work for me in a pinch.
Of course the source OS is not relavent, just need a vnc client.

krfb --help-all
Usage: krfb [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options]

VNC-compatible server to share KDE desktops
... <snip>