Today I installed some 80 accumulated upgrades to my Ubuntu 6.06 system
with no apparent problem til I rebooted as it instructed me.  It did not
get very far... Below is the hand transcribed but pretty close listing of
the error messages.  Note that a few weeks ago at the install fest we
increased the size of the partition the system is in by moving all the
files to an external hard disk , making a new larger partition and moving
the files back.  After some tweaking that has been running fine.
Anyone recognise what's going on here?

Thanks ,  Fred

last messages displayed while booting Ubuntu 6.06 system before stopping:

modprobe -l -t <dirname> [-a <modulename...]
mount:
Cannot read /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed No such file or
directory
mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed No such file or directory
mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

Busybox v1.01 (Debian 1:1.01-4ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

#

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org